Skip to main content

Last year, I went to see the director of the Department of Disability Support Services to get accommodations, but he wouldn’t even give me extra time. It’s so frustrating, of all the people that would understand my needs, I thought it should be him. 

I went back to see him at this beginning of this semester because I had just found out I had just over a 3.0 GPA when I thought I did well enough to get a 4.0, but he just kept putting me down. He told me I should have self-identified as LD in my college applications, but I wanted them to be impressed with my grades without even knowing I’m dyslexic. I told him that I wanted to major in English and he literally laughed at me! He told me I’m not “intellectual” enough for that. I was so frustrated that I ended up enrolling in four English classes, and I got my report card today. 

Guess what? I got two A’s and two A-’s. Take that Mr. Director guy.

-Jonathan

Comments